FAQ Category: Service Members Package

Can I use DONSA & Federal holidays for visitation?

Visitation schedules should be made so the daily needs of the children are met. A schedule is more likely to be approved when the best interest of the child is considered. You can learn more about holidays and DONSA by contacting our military divorce lawyer.

Can child support or alimony be modified?

Military parents may be able to modify child support and alimony arrangements to reflect changes in circumstance. However, these typically require a court order and should not be based on verbal agreements.

Will I have joint custody?

Alabama requires that child custody be resolved in a way that is in the best interest of the child. Being in the military may complicate the issue further. Call our military divorce attorney now to get help.

How will child support work?

Child support may not exceed 60% of a military member’s pay in Alabama. The amount of child support required is determined by normal Alabama guidelines.

What is my spouse entitled to?

Military divorce could affect all assets including the house, cars, and retirement accounts. However, there are some protections under the Uniformed Services Former Spouses’ Protection Act (USFSPA). Contact our military divorce lawyer for more information.